Saturday, August 21, 2004

Other Western Critter Encounters

Had encounters with two wild critters this week...

Gary, Cristy(my dog), and I were walking the roads near us when Gary said... "Mom, you almost stepped on a snake." I replied... " I did?... I didn't see it.. where? " Sure enough, I looked back where both Christy and I had stepped and there was a rattlesnake laying there looking crushed and dead. I told Gary that it must have been run over by a car, and was dead, to which he disagreed.

Then he picked up a stone and threw it at the head of the snake, which raised it's head to show it's fangs. Gary then picked up another rock and tossed it at the snake to see if maybe just its head worked and the rest of the snake was squished. When the second rock landed, the snake's tail rattled, and all three of us moved quickly away from the cacophony of sound. The snake then proceeded to wiggle itself back into the grass by the road side.

The neighborhood youths heard the rattle and came running. I'm hoping that the snake made it safely back to a resting place without losing its rattle. But we didn't stick around to find out!

No comments: